Last Updated: October 2022
Systems Change Lab, “SCL”, “we”, “our” or “us” is an initiative of World Resources Institute, in collaboration with the Bezos Earth Fund. Through this initiative, this data portal will track global progress for more than 70 transformational shifts, enabling users to compare current action against targets to protect people and planet. SCL is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy when you use this Website.
You may interact with our initiative through the Website and any other related and connected platforms and other online and offline interactions including emails and social media (collectively, the “Services”).
For each of these Services, this Policy tells you how SCL will use your Personal Information when you make contact with us or use the Services. In particular, this Policy explains how:
- We may use your Personal Information when you visit our Website, communicate, or provide us with your Personal Information in other ways; and
- We respect your Personal Information privacy rights.
Personal Information We Collect
We collect different kinds of information from you, depending on how you interact with us. When we refer to Personal Information, we mean any information that (directly or indirectly) identifies, relates to, describes, or is reasonably capable of being associated, linked or linkable with a particular individual or household, including any information that is subject to applicable data protection laws.
Online Collection: We collect Personal Information from you when you register on the Website, sign up for updates from SCL, download materials, send email inquiries, register for events, or participate in other parts of our Services.
Depending on the Services you interact with, the information collected may vary and may include, for example:
- Identifiers and contact details you choose to provide, such as your name and email address, country, occupation, and industry of employment;
- Automatically Collected Information: Systems Change Lab and our third-party service providers may collect information about your interaction with our Services using cookies and similar automatic data-collection technology. Systems Change Lab uses this information to improve and maintain our Services, collect aggregate site usage reports that do not identify you individually, and to optimize site users’ experience on the Services. The information Systems Change Lab collects includes:
- Identifiers: IP address, device and browser information, time, date, and referrer site;
- Location information: location information about a particular device (desktop or mobile), general location information, and geolocation data (for example, your IP address may indicate your more general geographic region)
- Website and application activity information like clicks, content and page views, internet service provider, browser version, domain type.
- Anonymous or Aggregated Information: Systems Change Lab may use aggregated or de-identified data that doesn’t identify you for any lawful business purpose. De-identified data is not Personal Information.
Offline Collection: We also collect Personal Information from you when you provide us with it at conferences or similar events. Such Personal Information will typically consist of your organizational or personal contact details, or other information you choose to give us.
Our Use of Your Information
SCL uses the Personal Information we collect about you for any of the following purposes:
- Providing, developing, improving and maintaining the Services;
- Providing you with updates, newsletters, data, and other research from us, and/or donation-related communications you have requested;
- Generating anonymous reports about the use of the Services and their features;
- Allowing you to take part in Service features; and
- Analyzing the use of the Services or technologies.
Outreach and Communications
SCL may use your Personal Information to provide you with communications about us including, but not limited to email communications or information about projects.
SCL may send such communications by:
- Any other medium which becomes relevant from time-to-time.
You can opt-out of receiving communications from the SCL initiative at any time by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by following the unsubscribe instructions in our communications. We may, however, still need to contact you for important administrative reasons, such as in the event of a material change to our Services, related policies, or accounts you create with us.
Disclosure of Information
Personal Information is disclosed to the following parties:
- To the system administrator of SCL, analytic vendors, third party agents and other service providers and suppliers if the disclosure will enable that party to perform a business, professional, or technical support function for us or to perform a service that you have requested;
- To and between the following Systems Change Lab partner(s): Bezos Earth Fund and World Resources Institute.
- Where you give us permission to disclose your personal information to third parties;
- If we are required to do so to comply with a legal requirement or request from a competent court, regulator or other authority; and/or
- Where we deem it necessary, in our sole discretion, to protect our legal rights or property.
We may also disclose non-private, aggregate or otherwise Non-Personal Information to third parties, including social media companies like Facebook and Twitter for outreach purposes.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that any Personal Information about you that we pass to a service provider or other third-party will be held securely by that party and only be used for the purposes for which it was provided to them. Except as noted above, information we collect from Website visitors will not be shared with individuals or other companies unrelated to SCL, or that do not perform a business, professional or technical function for us.
Security and quality
The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We have put in place safeguards to protect the Personal Information that we collect from unauthorized access, use and disclosure, and we will take steps to ensure that all of our employees, agents, contractors and other third parties have similar adequate measures in place. We also have procedures to deal with any suspected Personal Information breach, and we will notify you and any applicable regulator when we are legally required to do so. We cannot, however, guarantee that unauthorized access, hacking, data loss, or other breaches will never occur.
We do our best to maintain the accuracy of any Personal Information you supply to us. You can help SCL update and maintain the accuracy of any personal information you supply by notifying us of any change. You may do this by using the contact information provided below.
Transmission of information on the internet is not completely secure, and we cannot guarantee the security of information sent on our Services. Transmission of such information is at your own risk.
Cookies and Analytics
Cookies. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that are transferred to your computer through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. Some cookies enable you to log-in to the Services or save certain settings and preferences, while others allow SCL to track usage and activities on the Services or personalize content. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The "Help" tab on the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. If you block cookies, however, certain features on the Website may not be available or function properly.
Pixel tags and embedded script (aka clear GIFs and web beacons). Pixel tags are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, pixel tags are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use these, in connection with the Website to, among other things, track the activities of the users of the Services, and gather usage information about the Website.
Links to External Websites
SCL contains links to other websites belonging to third parties. These websites are not covered by this Policy, and we are not responsible for the privacy practices within any other website. You should be aware of this when you leave SCL, and we encourage you to read the privacy statements of other websites.
Personal Information access and deletion
You may request a copy of the Personal Information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. You may also request that we delete the information we hold about you. Please address requests (with a return email address where possible) to:
Or by post to:
World Resources Institute
10 G Street, NE, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20002
Attn: Legal Department
Information for Individuals located in the European Economic Area
- Basis of processing: Where you give us your Personal Information, we process your personal information for our legitimate business purposes to respond to your requests (for example, providing you with access to our websites or providing you with newsletter communications that you have requested);
Changes, Oversight and Questions
Or by post to:
World Resources Institute
10 G Street, NE, Suite 800
Washington, DC 2002
Attn: Legal Department